Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: ESPN Layoffs

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253524

• NYCRedmen
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1461
The administrator has disabled public write access.

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253536

• MarkRedman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1599
Linda Cohn was quoted as saying that the reason for the cuts were the huge fees that ESPN pays for the rights to broadcast games. I also read that ESPN has lost lots of viewers in the past couple of years. I would think that lots of people are moving away from cable and satellite TV and using other means to watch programming.

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253537

• mjmaherjr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5959
cutting the cord is a big issue

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253540

• austour
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1644
MarkRedman wrote:
Linda Cohn was quoted as saying that the reason for the cuts were the huge fees that ESPN pays for the rights to broadcast games. I also read that ESPN has lost lots of viewers in the past couple of years. I would think that lots of people are moving away from cable and satellite TV and using other means to watch programming.

I've read that there was about a 10 million subscriber drop last year due to cord cutting. The four core ESPN channels (flagship, 2, U and News) generate around $8 per month per household so a 10 mill drop is almost a $1 billion drop in annual revenues. That's a lot of money, even for Disney, especially since the trend is expected to continue and grow., Sports leagues should also take notice., The days of exponentially growing TV rights for all but the NFL are likely over.
There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists.The others are silly made up nonsense. But not yours. Yours is real.
Last Edit: 4 months 1 week ago by austour.

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253541

• austour
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
OK maybe that 10 million was an exaggeration or maybe it is what they are forecast to lose in 2017. But they're losing subscribers rapidly.

www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-62...mpany-history-102916
There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists.The others are silly made up nonsense. But not yours. Yours is real.

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253550

• BasketballJones
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Most of their radio personalities are unlistenable. How does it help them to cut a guy like Ed Werder? Steven A Smith and Dick Vitale should have been first

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253606

• TX Redman
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 740
mjmaherjr wrote:

I did it last year. Went to Sling (NBC Sports and Fox, no ESPN). All the hockey, baseball, soccer (EPL & Bundesliga), college basketball and Aussie Rules I can handle. Love the AFL. Plus I get Fargo and Better Call Saul!! All for $25.

The only thing I miss from ESPN is college football but I prefer high school football anyway... ESPN has become to sports what MTV is to music.

Side note, sad to read about Berman's wife. When I lived in CT, I drove that section of road many a times...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253608

• austour
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
TX Redman wrote:
mjmaherjr wrote:

I did it last year. Went to Sling (NBC Sports and Fox, no ESPN). All the hockey, baseball, soccer (EPL & Bundesliga), college basketball and Aussie Rules I can handle. Love the AFL. Plus I get Fargo and Better Call Saul!! All for $25.

The only thing I miss from ESPN is college football but I prefer high school football anyway... ESPN has become to sports what MTV is to music.

Side note, sad to read about Berman's wife. When I lived in CT, I drove that section of road many a times...

Let's Go West Coast Eagles!

ESPN Layoffs 4 months 1 week ago #253700

• Paul Massell
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2847
For the Thread Purists, I moved the rest of the TV discussion here:

redmen.com/forum/37-players-lounge/46426...-cutting.html#253609
Chuck Norris once fought superman. The loser had to wear his underwear over his pants.
Time to create page: 0.308 seconds