Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Transfers SJU May Get Involved With

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249211

• Paultzman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15666
Billy Lawrence PG from Molloy HS transferred from North Carolina way back when.(60s)
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Paultzman.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249213

• fun
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1333
we are sju wrote:
fun wrote:
we are sju wrote:
fun wrote:
we are sju wrote:
Since we are getting a lot of our talent via the transfer route was thinking about who our best transfer has been to date? Based on how he performed here.
Best HS recruit was Mullin
Best JUCO was Berry
Best transfer-Reggie Carter? Ron Rowan?

Ron Rowan. Good grief. I'd take Curtis Redding and Bernard Rencher over Ron Rowan. Not to mention Paul Berwanger.

Anyway, Billy Paultz.

Heard of Rencher and Paultz obviously but before my time. Not familiar with Berrwanger but I am a big fan of "sittin on the dock of the bay" so Redding would get my vote.

Redding was an all american at Carnesie HS who transferred from Kansas State and amounted to nothing at SJ before Lou benched him and he quit the team. Berwanger was also nothing but I like his name. Say it out loud, B-e-r-w-a-n-g-e-r, the frisson is palpable.

I get Brust disdain even if I don't necessarily agree with it. What is the deal with the hatred for BIG SHOT Ron though?

Made a big shot, otherwise overrated.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249215

• jpm114
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 202
Sherman, Sheridan & Grant wrote:
fun wrote:
we are sju wrote:
Since we are getting a lot of our talent via the transfer route was thinking about who our best transfer has been to date? Based on how he performed here.
Best JUCO was Berry

Breaking my own rule about double posting thanks for not mentioning floor slapping dope Matt Brust.

Wasn't the clutch Billy Goodwin (played early 1960s) a JC or transfer? I think so...
Indeed he was a JC transfer, one of several from San Jacinto

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249229

• Dan V
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Sean Obi leaving Duke, assuming he is healthy he can help this program. He was a good player at Rice and just couldn't play over the horde of 5 star big men that Duke gets every year. Brings some bulk to the team and and someone who can actually post up and score.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249260

• Knight
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1028
Paultz-Does your avatar imply Amar gone?

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249261

• Moose
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2535
Knight wrote:
Paultz-Does your avatar imply Amar gone?

Another possible transfer????
No way!
At SJU?
Doesn't happen!
A senior leaving??? Who cares
Remember who broke the Slice news

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249262

• L J S A
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2257
Dan V wrote:
Sean Obi leaving Duke, assuming he is healthy he can help this program. He was a good player at Rice and just couldn't play over the horde of 5 star big men that Duke gets every year. Brings some bulk to the team and and someone who can actually post up and score.

Not healthy -- horrible knees.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249269

• Ray Morgan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 744
we are sju wrote:
fun wrote:
we are sju wrote:
Best JUCO was Berry

Ron Rowan. Good grief. I'd take Curtis Redding and Bernard Rencher over Ron Rowan. Not to mention Paul Berwanger.

Anyway, Billy Paultz.

Heard of Rencher and Paultz obviously but before my time. Not familiar with Berrwanger but I am a big fan of "sittin on the dock of the bay" so Redding would get my vote.

Paultz was a JUCO. Some transfers came with hype like Jon Hempel who I believe was from U Conn and Farmer from Hofstra. As SJU fans have come to expect, letdowns are more common than pleasant surprises. Speaking of big shot transfers, Carter's short jumper with a few seconds to go beat Duke in the NCAAs on Black Sunday in North Carolina. That may even trump Rowan's jumper to beat Cuse for the Big East title.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 4 months 3 weeks ago #249270

• redken
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1754
Ray Morgan wrote:
we are sju wrote:
fun wrote:
we are sju wrote:
Best JUCO was Berry

Anyway, Billy Paultz.

Paultz was a JUCO. Some transfers came with hype like Jon Hempel who I believe was from U Conn and Farmer from Hofstra. As SJU fans have come to expect, letdowns are more common than pleasant surprises. Speaking of big shot transfers, Carter's short jumper with a few seconds to go beat Duke in the NCAAs on Black Sunday in North Carolina. That may even trump Rowan's jumper to beat Cuse for the Big East title.

Hempel was from UMass, and, as you noted, came here with big expectations and turned out to be a huge letdown. That said, no comparison between Reggie Carter and Ron Rowan. If it weren't for Rowan's big shot -- which admittedly was huge, even bigly -- no one would remember him (granted, a bit of hyperbole). Reggie, however, merits having his jersey (belatedly) hung from the CA rafters even though he was here for just two years. A truly outstanding Redmen ... and yet another one who, sadly, didn't get his proper recognition before leaving us.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by redken.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, RM86, Ray Morgan
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds