Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Transfers SJU May Get Involved With

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249127

  • Paul Massell
  • Paul Massell's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Administrator
  • Posts: 3193
  • Thank you received: 2671
  • Karma: 124
stjohnschris wrote:
jpm114 wrote:
Paultz not to be disrespectful to you, MCNPA or anyone else but I'm just not sure about Enoch. He's a big strong kid but at least when I've seen him struggles with lateral movement. Also, as I ask and look for with any big kid. Does he catch the ball?? In that area I think he's just ok not great. Also I must say I don't think it's fair to lump Yakwe in with Sima. Yankwe is simply a traditional PF as opposed to a stretch 4 who does not have the physical bulk to play as an undersized center. He is however a much smarter basketball player who understands concepts on defense. I love the fact that he's a shot blocker who takes charges when that's the play to make. Playing time at the 4 and 5 positions is more a function of matchups but Yakwe can be a useful player, not sure about Sima.

He's a pure athlete, can jump out of the gym and gives us some highlight reel blocks and (sometimes) dunks, but neither Sima nor Yakwe are traditional anything, C or PF, and both lack overall basketball IQ. If we can put together a more balanced team next year, maybe we see Yakwe contribute more and realize his potential.

What was strange about Yakwe season 1 vs season 2 is that we really didn't see a lot of that athleticism in season 2. Much more so in season 1. Maybe jpm is onto something and by way of explanation, that Yakwe was doing a lot of learning and trying to be disciplined during game time incorporating into his game. Remember that before he joined the team he was self-aware enough to want to take another year to learn the game before he went into college. We encouraged him to play because we were desperate.

A genuine big man (not a softee like Sima) and I think we could see a lot of individual and team elevation when it isn't so easy to isolate the weaknesses of individuals and overplay our guards as a whole and on the other side where we need our smaller lineup as a whole overachieving in almost every case against much bigger and more physically mature opponents.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249147

  • stjohnnie75
  • stjohnnie75's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 357
  • Thank you received: 184
  • Karma: 4
Coaster wrote:
Mr. JPM114. I have to disagree wholeheartedly with your statement about Yawke .... "He is however a much smarter basketball player who understands concepts on defense. I love the fact that he's a shot blocker who takes charges when that's the play to make." This past season he appeared to be lost on both ends of the floor, has no offensive moves and/or skills whatsoever (other than dunking off a simple pick and go), and often gets caught out of position. Taking a charge was simply a matter of him being in the right place (probably out of his position). I would very much like to see him improve and succeed, but don't see it based on his 16-17 season.

He was often caught out of position because he would help out when our guards didn't keep their man in front of them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Logen, Desco80

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249168

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 4804
  • Thank you received: 2231
  • Karma: -132
Coaster wrote:
Mr. JPM114. I have to disagree wholeheartedly with your statement about Yawke .... "He is however a much smarter basketball player who understands concepts on defense. I love the fact that he's a shot blocker who takes charges when that's the play to make." This past season he appeared to be lost on both ends of the floor, has no offensive moves and/or skills whatsoever (other than dunking off a simple pick and go), and often gets caught out of position. Taking a charge was simply a matter of him being in the right place (probably out of his position). I would very much like to see him improve and succeed, but don't see it based on his 16-17 season.

No disrespect but I disagree with both of you.
Kassoum Yakwe is a great kid but after two seasons he has shown very little on both ends of the court. He is not Big East starting material. If he plays major minutes next year I will be very surprised.
As far as Enoch is concerned, he showed very little at Uconn and is a back up center at best. I hope our going after a Uconn reject doesn't mean we are falling out of favor with more talented bigs in prep school. If all the fuss with Matt Abdelmassih was about going after 3 star transfers we are doomed to repeat the Lavin experience (experiment).
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249176

  • L J S A
  • L J S A's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 3631
  • Thank you received: 2202
  • Karma: 350
Class of 72 wrote:
He is not Big East starting material.

Good thing he won't be starting next year then.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249177

  • Coaster
  • Coaster's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 304
  • Thank you received: 89
  • Karma: 6
Sounds like you agreed with me at least. Just sayin'.
Class of 72 wrote:
Coaster wrote:
Mr. JPM114. I have to disagree wholeheartedly with your statement about Yawke .... "He is however a much smarter basketball player who understands concepts on defense. I love the fact that he's a shot blocker who takes charges when that's the play to make." This past season he appeared to be lost on both ends of the floor, has no offensive moves and/or skills whatsoever (other than dunking off a simple pick and go), and often gets caught out of position. Taking a charge was simply a matter of him being in the right place (probably out of his position). I would very much like to see him improve and succeed, but don't see it based on his 16-17 season.

No disrespect but I disagree with both of you.
Kassoum Yakwe is a great kid but after two seasons he has shown very little on both ends of the court. He is not Big East starting material. If he plays major minutes next year I will be very surprised.
As far as Enoch is concerned, he showed very little at Uconn and is a back up center at best. I hope our going after a Uconn reject doesn't mean we are falling out of favor with more talented bigs in prep school. If all the fuss with Matt Abdelmassih was about going after 3 star transfers we are doomed to repeat the Lavin experience (experiment).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249182

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2743
  • Thank you received: 1708
  • Karma: -123
Since we are getting a lot of our talent via the transfer route was thinking about who our best transfer has been to date? Based on how he performed here.
Best HS recruit was Mullin
Best JUCO was Berry
Best transfer-Reggie Carter? Ron Rowan?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249189

  • Coaster
  • Coaster's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 304
  • Thank you received: 89
  • Karma: 6
Fully agree with your assessment, but close seconds....
we are sju wrote:
Since we are getting a lot of our talent via the transfer route was thinking about who our best transfer has been to date? Based on how he performed here.
Best HS recruit was Mullin (Mel Davis, Billy Shaffer, Ron Artest, Mo Harkless, Malik Sealy)
Best JUCO was Berry (no question)
Best transfer-Reggie Carter? Ron Rowan? (Other thread said Kevin Loughery was a BC transfer)
Last Edit: 2 months 4 weeks ago by Coaster. Reason: More thoughts
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249190

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2743
  • Thank you received: 1708
  • Karma: -123
Coaster wrote:
Agree with your assessment, but close seconds....
we are sju wrote:
Since we are getting a lot of our talent via the transfer route was thinking about who our best transfer has been to date? Based on how he performed here.
Best HS recruit was Mullin (Mel Davis, Billy Shaffer, Ron Artest)
Best JUCO was Berry (no question)
Best transfer-Reggie Carter? Ron Rowan? (Other thread said Kevin Loughery was a BC transfer)

Actually Juco route has probably been best for us-Berry, Hatton, Bootsy, Harvey, Porter, Brownlee
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Coaster

Transfers SJU May Get Involved With 2 months 4 weeks ago #249194

  • fun
  • fun's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1422
  • Thank you received: 1308
  • Karma: -4669
we are sju wrote:
Since we are getting a lot of our talent via the transfer route was thinking about who our best transfer has been to date? Based on how he performed here.
Best HS recruit was Mullin
Best JUCO was Berry
Best transfer-Reggie Carter? Ron Rowan?

Ron Rowan. Good grief. I'd take Curtis Redding and Bernard Rencher over Ron Rowan. Not to mention Paul Berwanger.

Anyway, Billy Paultz.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds