Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #246937

  • billthetruth
  • billthetruth's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 433
  • Thank you received: 291
  • Karma: 4
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, Paultzman

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #246938

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 15505
  • Thank you received: 16358
  • Karma: 276
billthetruth wrote:
"Seton Hall has been the area’s best team the last two years because of its ability to stop the opposition. St. John’s had strong defensive games, inspired performances when it put up resistance, but it was too infrequent. The Johnnies were last in the Big East in points allowed (78.7) and 3-point percentage defense (.375), and ninth in field goal percentage defense (.461). The defensive principles were lacking too often, too much gambling on the perimeter, too much hawking for blocked shots that would leave nobody under the basket to rebound. Sit-out transfers Justin Simon (Arizona) and Marvin Clark Jr. (Michigan State) will help — the duo have strong defensive reputations — but if everyone doesn’t buy into prioritizing defense, consistent winning will be difficult to achieve."
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Logen

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #246949

  • JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2220
  • Thank you received: 1420
  • Karma: -129
Paultzman wrote:
billthetruth wrote:
"Seton Hall has been the area’s best team the last two years because of its ability to stop the opposition. St. John’s had strong defensive games, inspired performances when it put up resistance, but it was too infrequent. The Johnnies were last in the Big East in points allowed (78.7) and 3-point percentage defense (.375), and ninth in field goal percentage defense (.461). The defensive principles were lacking too often, too much gambling on the perimeter, too much hawking for blocked shots that would leave nobody under the basket to rebound. Sit-out transfers Justin Simon (Arizona) and Marvin Clark Jr. (Michigan State) will help — the duo have strong defensive reputations — but if everyone doesn’t buy into prioritizing defense, consistent winning will be difficult to achieve."

Yep......that's the most obvious opportunity for improvement. I think, with a combination of roster additions, scheme and commitment to tenacity, we can rise from the cellar of defenisive statistics.
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by JohnnyFan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #246967

  • McGarry2
  • McGarry2's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 936
  • Thank you received: 128
  • Karma: -8
JohnnyFan wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
billthetruth wrote:
"Seton Hall has been the area’s best team the last two years because of its ability to stop the opposition. St. John’s had strong defensive games, inspired performances when it put up resistance, but it was too infrequent. The Johnnies were last in the Big East in points allowed (78.7) and 3-point percentage defense (.375), and ninth in field goal percentage defense (.461). The defensive principles were lacking too often, too much gambling on the perimeter, too much hawking for blocked shots that would leave nobody under the basket to rebound. Sit-out transfers Justin Simon (Arizona) and Marvin Clark Jr. (Michigan State) will help — the duo have strong defensive reputations — but if everyone doesn’t buy into prioritizing defense, consistent winning will be difficult to achieve."

Yep......that's the most obvious opportunity for improvement. I think, with a combination of roster additions, scheme and commitment to tenacity, we can rise from the cellar of defenisive statistics.

Coaches who stress defense to be successful must be taskmasters can CM adopt to the role ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #246987

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2315
  • Thank you received: 1811
  • Karma: -76
McGarry2 wrote:
JohnnyFan wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
billthetruth wrote:
"Seton Hall has been the area’s best team the last two years because of its ability to stop the opposition. St. John’s had strong defensive games, inspired performances when it put up resistance, but it was too infrequent. The Johnnies were last in the Big East in points allowed (78.7) and 3-point percentage defense (.375), and ninth in field goal percentage defense (.461). The defensive principles were lacking too often, too much gambling on the perimeter, too much hawking for blocked shots that would leave nobody under the basket to rebound. Sit-out transfers Justin Simon (Arizona) and Marvin Clark Jr. (Michigan State) will help — the duo have strong defensive reputations — but if everyone doesn’t buy into prioritizing defense, consistent winning will be difficult to achieve."

Yep......that's the most obvious opportunity for improvement. I think, with a combination of roster additions, scheme and commitment to tenacity, we can rise from the cellar of defenisive statistics.

Coaches who stress defense to be successful must be taskmasters can CM adopt to the role ?

Excellent question,it is my belief Mullin is struggling with the same thing Larry Bird (and many other great players trying to coach/manage) did when he tried to coach - namely, assuming players were going to be as committed and focused as they were as players and then being unable to deal with the reality that they are not. We shall see if Mullin figures it out, his comments over the last couple of weeks shows clearly he sees the problem, now, can he solve it?
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Logen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #246988

  • redstorm89
  • redstorm89's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 976
  • Thank you received: 183
  • Karma: 2
key thing is that 2018 class. hopefully matt A and chris can get our targets.
"You don't play against opponents. You play against the game of basketball." - Bobby Knight
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #246992

  • westchesterjoe
  • westchesterjoe's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1055
  • Thank you received: 278
  • Karma: -37
Lovett and Ponds were not good on the Ball defenders. Although they have quick hands and steal the ball often, they have not been able to defend many Big East guards who bolt past them or, post them up. Some of this is not a easy fix. Both, Ponds and Lovett are slight in stature, height wise and frame wise and they give away a lot in terms of strength . They aren't likely to bulk up much . Not much they can do when posted up by Bigger Guards who are fast and strong. They can do better than the Matador defense they excelled at this year. Both, need to improve this portion of their game.

Yakwe is a very poor defender and rebounder capable of only a few shot blocks. He is too small to deal with the Delgado, Patton, etc sized BE Centers. We need a 6'10, 240 Bruiser with good fundamentals , a little grittiness in their game and ability to score and rebound. Likely to come from the 5th Year Grad Transfer Pool. Our need for a Post Player is critical for next year .

Which raises a question. What are the NCAA Guidelines that determine 5th year eligibility and transfer process? When does the Pool of available Players open up?

Ellison. Mussini, Ahmed, Owens, Amar are role players next year. Freudenberg showed zero and unless he transforms himself over the Summer, he should transfer or return to Europe.

Simon and Clark come with good credentials and, will be upgrades to the Starting lineups.

Both, Ponds and Lovett can be playmakers but, need frontcourt players they can pass to. We didn't have that this year..

Finally,just a comment on the Villanova game the other Morning. Our Team had left it all on the Court a few hours before vs G'town and , were emotionally and physically spent.. They had only fumes to run on and it was disgraceful the BE Schedule maker concocted this fiasco. There should be a protest from our AD at upcoming meetings.

2017-18 can be a NCAA season. We won 7 games in Conference, if we go 9-9 or, 10-8 we get a bid, provided our OOC pre-season has quality opponents and Wins. We were outclassed in many games this Year and with talent upgrades, we can finish in the top half of the League.

Let's GO REDMEN!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #247011

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2315
  • Thank you received: 1811
  • Karma: -76
westchesterjoe wrote:
Lovett and Ponds were not good on the Ball defenders. Although they have quick hands and steal the ball often, they have not been able to defend many Big East guards who bolt past them or, post them up. Some of this is not a easy fix. Both, Ponds and Lovett are slight in stature, height wise and frame wise and they give away a lot in terms of strength . They aren't likely to bulk up much . Not much they can do when posted up by Bigger Guards who are fast and strong. They can do better than the Matador defense they excelled at this year. Both, need to improve this portion of their game.

Yakwe is a very poor defender and rebounder capable of only a few shot blocks. He is too small to deal with the Delgado, Patton, etc sized BE Centers. We need a 6'10, 240 Bruiser with good fundamentals , a little grittiness in their game and ability to score and rebound. Likely to come from the 5th Year Grad Transfer Pool. Our need for a Post Player is critical for next year .

Which raises a question. What are the NCAA Guidelines that determine 5th year eligibility and transfer process? When does the Pool of available Players open up?

Ellison. Mussini, Ahmed, Owens, Amar are role players next year. Freudenberg showed zero and unless he transforms himself over the Summer, he should transfer or return to Europe.

Simon and Clark come with good credentials and, will be upgrades to the Starting lineups.

Both, Ponds and Lovett can be playmakers but, need frontcourt players they can pass to. We didn't have that this year..

Finally,just a comment on the Villanova game the other Morning. Our Team had left it all on the Court a few hours before vs G'town and , were emotionally and physically spent.. They had only fumes to run on and it was disgraceful the BE Schedule maker concocted this fiasco. There should be a protest from our AD at upcoming meetings.

2017-18 can be a NCAA season. We won 7 games in Conference, if we go 9-9 or, 10-8 we get a bid, provided our OOC pre-season has quality opponents and Wins. We were outclassed in many games this Year and with talent upgrades, we can finish in the top half of the League.

Let's GO REDMEN!

I don't remember anyone posting Ponds and LoVett consistently. In fact, I think both were better players close to the basket. My point is size had nothing to do with their defensive problems.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

NYP: The Blueprint for 2017-18 7 months 1 week ago #247023

westchesterjoe wrote:
Lovett and Ponds were not good on the Ball defenders. Although they have quick hands and steal the ball often, they have not been able to defend many Big East guards who bolt past them or, post them up. Some of this is not a easy fix. Both, Ponds and Lovett are slight in stature, height wise and frame wise and they give away a lot in terms of strength . They aren't likely to bulk up much . Not much they can do when posted up by Bigger Guards who are fast and strong. They can do better than the Matador defense they excelled at this year. Both, need to improve this portion of their game.

Yakwe is a very poor defender and rebounder capable of only a few shot blocks. He is too small to deal with the Delgado, Patton, etc sized BE Centers. We need a 6'10, 240 Bruiser with good fundamentals , a little grittiness in their game and ability to score and rebound. Likely to come from the 5th Year Grad Transfer Pool. Our need for a Post Player is critical for next year .

Which raises a question. What are the NCAA Guidelines that determine 5th year eligibility and transfer process? When does the Pool of available Players open up?

Ellison. Mussini, Ahmed, Owens, Amar are role players next year. Freudenberg showed zero and unless he transforms himself over the Summer, he should transfer or return to Europe.

Simon and Clark come with good credentials and, will be upgrades to the Starting lineups.

Both, Ponds and Lovett can be playmakers but, need frontcourt players they can pass to. We didn't have that this year..

Finally,just a comment on the Villanova game the other Morning. Our Team had left it all on the Court a few hours before vs G'town and , were emotionally and physically spent.. They had only fumes to run on and it was disgraceful the BE Schedule maker concocted this fiasco. There should be a protest from our AD at upcoming meetings.

2017-18 can be a NCAA season. We won 7 games in Conference, if we go 9-9 or, 10-8 we get a bid, provided our OOC pre-season has quality opponents and Wins. We were outclassed in many games this Year and with talent upgrades, we can finish in the top half of the League.

Let's GO REDMEN!

W Joe
You gave a very nice assessment!
We are moving in the right direction.
Matt A & Chris M will sign a kid or two per year who " get it" and don't have to be cajoled into effort, energy, defense. It will be in their DNA to give their all.
:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.344 seconds