Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UConn Still Shopping ?

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242632

• JO23
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 97
Steve Knortz wrote:
I too am not in favor of having any Uconn or Wichita State join the Big East. In Uconn’s case, the idea that the “Uconn big wigs” would be satisfied with playing football in one conference and then basketball in the Big East seems unlikely and temporary at best. Uconn should find a conference to call home and suffer the consequences. Contact the Big 10, ACC, SEC and offer some cash and buy in.

To this point, I don’t see a compelling reason to expand the Big East. The current format is competitive enjoyable. The private and or religious school uniformity seems to work. If there are compelling issues with travel, the East – West format suggested in JO23’s comments seems logical, but perhaps St. Louis and Richmond might be appropriate.
I see your point and I love the Big East as it is too. The new Big East has defintly surpassed any expectations and I would be fine if it stayed like this. But, I just feel if the situation presented itself where UConn wanted to come, and their was an agreement to make it extremly difficult for them to ever leave, you have to take them. For example, if they moved football to FCS or something like that. Than after that I feel the next added school would have to be Wichita State.

Although, I wouldn't expand in the near future unless UConn was coming. In my opinion, schools like Richmond and St. Louis would water down the Big East.

To make it clear what I am trying to say, the only way the Big East should expand and give up on the round robin and private schools is if UConn wants in and wants to stay in and Wichita State comes with them. Nothing else is worth giving up on what we have.
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by JO23.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve Knortz

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242642

• Andrew2
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1586
Based on a winning basketball tradition and having to be a private school then Dayton is by far the best option east of the Mississippi. Gonzaga being the best west of the Mississippi. I don't see any other private schools that really add value. St. John's and DePaul getting better is really important.

I don't really care that UCONN is a public school but don't like that they have an FBS football program. I think it's better for both parties to leave things alone and there are many pluses and minuses for them to come back to the Big East.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McGarry2

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242645

• postell25
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 99
The only way I would consider it (and I'm an adamant no on letting UConn back in) is if all sports are in the Big East, their football is an independent and UConn divides up all of their football revenue among all the Big East schools. I hate the idea of letting one school back in with an FBS football team. No matter how bad UConn football is, having an FBS football team gives them access to revenue that isn't available to any other Big East school and puts their athletic department budget (I'd imagine) way over any other Big East school. I think I read in 2015 that UConn's their budget was over 70 million dollars. Does anyone have a list of what Big East school's athletic budgets are?
Last Edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by postell25.

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242651

• Las Vegan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 96
If the conference wishes to expand, the only school I would take is Dayton. We would go to 20 conference games, leaving 11 out of conference games.
As for UConn, play them out of conference and alternate the MSG game with Syracuse. It gives us a good revenue game each year, and both road games would get us on ESPN.
Any new member should be compatible with the current schools and be in for all sports, not just basketball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242652

• Mean Gene
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 323
Las Vegan wrote:
If the conference wishes to expand, the only school I would take is Dayton. We would go to 20 conference games, leaving 11 out of conference games.
As for UConn, play them out of conference and alternate the MSG game with Syracuse. It gives us a good revenue game each year, and both road games would get us on ESPN.
Any new member should be compatible with the current schools and be in for all sports, not just basketball.

I would take Dayton and VCU.

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242654

• L J S A
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2325
A small conference is nice, but once the power conferences all grow to 16, they will each be pushing for 10+ teams in the tournament. Will we still be a big boy with only 10 teams, or will we become the WCC come tournament time?

I think 14 would be great if you could convince St. Mary's, Gonzaga, Wichita, and Dayton to come. Dayton and Xavier would shift to our division. 19-game conference season. Four new rabid fan bases.

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242662

• otis
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 1272
The Big East will likely take whatever school(s) Fox Sports tells it to take at the end of the current TV contract.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, OLV72

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242663

• L J S A
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2325
otis wrote:
The Big East will likely take whatever school(s) Fox Sports tells it to take at the end of the current TV contract.

Hopefully the people there know what they are doing then. . .

UConn Still Shopping ? 7 months 2 weeks ago #242670

• BOB BARKER
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
WOULD ACCEPT UCONN AS 11TH MEMBER IMMEDIATELY..THERE WASN'T MUCH OF A PROBLEM WHEN NOTRE DAME WANTED IN.LET THEM PARK THEIR FB TEAM IN SOMEWHERE ELSE...IF SYRACUSE CHANGED ITS MIND,THIS BOARD WOULD BE SAYING LET THEM IN...A 20 GAME HOME AND HOME IS DOABLE...WITH WORST TEAM SITTING OUT POST SEASON..BUT AS SOMEONE CORRECTLY SAID=FOX TV CALLS THE SHOTS AND MAY SWEETEN POT... ALSO STIFF EXIT FEE IS NEEDED
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds