Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UConn Still Shopping ?

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242616

• JO23
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 84
I know we are all supposed to hate UConn, but holding a grudge against them makes no sense to me, as it hampers the potential success of the Big East. UConn is a national program with a national fanbase, as a result of all of there success over the years. They will bring bigger crowds and improved viewership for the conference on FS1, which can lead to more potential money in the future. However, if the Big East senses we are being used as a stepping stone than talks should end now. Also, I believe UConn will have to come with another capable program as a 12th team, particularly in the midwest.

In my opinion, the additional program should be Wichita State. They are a successful basketball-only school with great facilities and a great fanbase, which is a recipe to be successful in the Big East as Butler, Creighton, and Xavier have all proven. Cincy would be great, but unlike UConn they may have better options for there football program in the future. Gonzaga, San Diego State, Saint Mary's, UNLV don't make sense geographically. VCU and Dayton would be great, but Georgetown and Xavier, respectively, probably would not allow it.

No divisions, but it should be unwritten. A full round robin is great, but not as important as UConn and Wichita State. Round robin in the East and West, thats 10 games for each team. Than play each team in the other division once, that's 6 games. Than rotate 2 extra cross-divisional games each season, that's a total of 18 games. As for St. John's, play all the east teams and one other midwest team at MSG. That will reduce the occasional small crowds at the Garden against midwest teams.

Expanded Big East
East
1. Georgetown
2. Providence
3. Seton Hall
4. St. John's
5. Uconn
6. Villanova
Midwest
7. Butler
8. Creighton
9. DePaul
10. Marquette
11. Wichita State
12. Xavier
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by JO23.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242617

• Knight
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 942
I see no benefit to SJU by giving Yukon a stage in NYC.

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242621

• Coaster
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 82
Do the several current BE women's programs want UConn women dominating them for the next umpteen years?

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242623

• Paultzman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14070
Valgoth wrote:
Paultz, whats with the Matt Avatar? means hes working the phones?
Checking travel schedule :)
Last Edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by Paultzman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, bk8664

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242624

Paultzman wrote:
Valgoth wrote:
Paultz, whats with the Matt Avatar? means hes working the phones?
Checking travel schedule :)

Good question Valgoth but we all know:
He's works e tremely hard
He's v good at what he does
We are fortunate to have him
:)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, frank61

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242625

• RedmanMike
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 71
No no no no no no no no and no. Let's stick with the formula that is working - private, basketball-only schools. And that means no UConn. Have fun in the irrelevant AAC...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, redmannorth, NYCRedmen, frank61, Sju grad 13

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242626

• Steve Knortz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 43
I too am not in favor of having any Uconn or Wichita State join the Big East. In Uconn’s case, the idea that the “Uconn big wigs” would be satisfied with playing football in one conference and then basketball in the Big East seems unlikely and temporary at best. Uconn should find a conference to call home and suffer the consequences. Contact the Big 10, ACC, SEC and offer some cash and buy in.

To this point, I don’t see a compelling reason to expand the Big East. The current format is competitive enjoyable. The private and or religious school uniformity seems to work. If there are compelling issues with travel, the East – West format suggested in JO23’s comments seems logical, but perhaps St. Louis and Richmond might be appropriate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242628

• kred
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
JO23 wrote:
I know we are all supposed to hate UConn, but holding a grudge against them makes no sense to me, as it hampers the potential success of the Big East. UConn is a national program with a national fanbase, as a result of all of there success over the years. They will bring bigger crowds and improved viewership for the conference on FS1, which can lead to more potential money in the future. However, if the Big East senses we are being used as a stepping stone than talks should end now. Also, I believe UConn will have to come with another capable program as a 12th team, particularly in the midwest.

In my opinion, the additional program should be Wichita State. They are a successful basketball-only school with great facilities and a great fanbase, which is a recipe to be successful in the Big East as Butler, Creighton, and Xavier have all proven. Cincy would be great, but unlike UConn they may have better options for there football program in the future. Gonzaga, San Diego State, Saint Mary's, UNLV don't make sense geographically. VCU and Dayton would be great, but Georgetown and Xavier, respectively, probably would not allow it.

No divisions, but it should be unwritten. A full round robin is great, but not as important as UConn and Wichita State. Round robin in the East and West, thats 10 games for each team. Than play each team in the other division once, that's 6 games. Than rotate 2 extra cross-divisional games each season, that's a total of 18 games. As for St. John's, play all the east teams and one other midwest team at MSG. That will reduce the occasional small crowds at the Garden against midwest teams.

Expanded Big East
East
1. Georgetown
2. Providence
3. Seton Hall
4. St. John's
5. Uconn
6. Villanova
Midwest
7. Butler
8. Creighton
9. DePaul
10. Marquette
11. Wichita State
12. Xavier

Unfortunately what happens with yours and other expansion ideas is that they do not benefit SJU as much as they benefit the other teams - especially Pukon. Screw em. They're in a downslide now. Why should we rescue them .
The following user(s) said Thank You: NYCRedmen, frank61

UConn Still Shopping ? 1 month 3 weeks ago #242629

• kred
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
MarkRedman wrote:
The "new" Big East is a great league
While I miss the old rivalries, Xavier, Creighton and Butler have been great additions
To Yukon and the others that left us "flat", I say "good riddance"
You ran out on us for what you thought were greener pastures; hope you enjoy them
You're not welcome here anymore

That's the deal right there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61
Time to create page: 0.647 seconds