Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UConn Still Shopping ?

UConn Still Shopping ? 5 months 1 day ago #247778

• richard steinfeld
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1047
Everyone agrees that Gonzaga is the perfect fit for BE BB. But, the fact is they re too far West. If they joined the BE the girls soft ball team would have to travel to Washington to play them. Not practical.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

UConn Still Shopping ? 5 months 1 day ago #247781

• otis
  • Thank you received: 1261
richard steinfeld wrote:
Everyone agrees that Gonzaga is the perfect fit for BE BB. But, the fact is they re too far West. If they joined the BE the girls soft ball team would have to travel to Washington to play them. Not practical.

.... unless in the highly unlikely event that the Zags and St. Mary's can find another D1 league along the west coast to park all of their sports except men's and women's basketball. Think WAC (Bakersfield, Grand Canyon, Seattle, et al.) which could work if Fox Sports ponied up money for that holdover conference to compensate it for taking the Zags and St. Mary's less profitable sports. The WAC will add high powered California Baptist University in 2018.

Also, who says that the Zags care about gaining membership in the Big East? Things are working pretty well for them playing in the West Coast Conference.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 day ago by otis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McGarry2, redmannorth, Paultzman

UConn Still Shopping ? 5 months 1 day ago #247788

• Room112
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 488
Class of 72 wrote:
kranmars wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
Paul Massell wrote:
Beast of the East wrote:
I don't like UCONN, i dislike their fans, and I've had strong negative feelings towards the schools that avandoned the BE, especially those with a northeastern location. The ability to concentrate the league within 400 miles of NYC was an amazing era for local competition and made for intense rivalries among mostly smaller private schools.

Having said that a long time ago, involved in a business dispute that went to court, a wise attorney advised, "Always do what's best for yourself, not what's worst for someone else."

Would UCONN strengthen the Big East? If so, the answer is clear, and if admitted, the business part of the deal should include a harsh financial penalty fir withdrawing that would offset any initial financial gain. Bottom line is UCONN would strengthen the conference. As much I would lije them to die a painful bball death, it would be best for us to have them in our conference

League is great in every way. Highest percentage to get into the NCAAs ever. How much stronger does it need to be? St Johns is on a positive trajectory. Yukon is on a downward death spiral. Grass is not always greener. Very short sighted. Big East will continue to thrive and does not need Yukon in any way.

If Wichita State moves to AAC, UCONN may be less inclined to leave.

This move could be a temporary one until the BE and Wichita St get together and work out a deal to bring in the best basketball program in the state of Kansas.

No need to worry about wasting state tax dollars on a pie in the sky idea of elevating a moribund football program. Maybe the conference wants to bring in another program to keep it at an even number (I would still say screw Uconn and wait).

And, if Wichita St. brings its nationally recognized baseball program, it also elevates BE baseball.

Seems like it makes too much sense.

Omaha Nebraska is far enough to travel and Wichita Kansas is a shit hole in the midwest. No reason to consider them in a conference called the "BIG EAST".
My other concern is Gregg Marshall. Once he leaves what will happen to their basketball profile? I prefer schools with a strong following that will attract fans to MSG. Dayton and VCU fit that profile the best. I suspect those are the two schools at the top of the expansion list.

Didn't they say the same thing about Butler once Brad Stevens left for the NBA? And here they are not one, but two coaches later, and haven't missed a beat.

There was a similar sentiment with Creighton once Doug McDermitt left for the NBA, but they also haven't missed a beat.

VCU and Dayton are also good examples of teams who've had sustainable success even through coaching changes. VCU has been competing at a high level even with coaching changes from Grant to Smart and now Wade.

I think the biggest indicator of sustainable success is the commitment by the schools to their program, and also fan base support. I believe it's been noted that Wichita State pays their coach 3.8 mil a year. They're obviously committed to success long term.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, richard steinfeld

UConn Still Shopping ? 5 months 23 minutes ago #247977

• salty dog
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 572
Mike Francessa just stated on the FAN that the best Big East expansion would be Wichita State and UCONN. Both good basketball schools that would bring good fans and prominence to the Big East

UConn Still Shopping ? 5 months 15 minutes ago #247978

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1928
Can't stomach UCONN.

Would rather have a school like Dayton

No problem re the Shockers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, kranmars, redmannorth, L J S A

UConn Still Shopping ? 4 months 4 weeks ago #247979

• SJU85
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 752
jerseyshorejohnny wrote:
Can't stomach UCONN.

If UConn drops football to FCS status, then maybe, but until then it is a showstopper IMHO.

No FBS schools, been there, done that. Worked for awhile but that model doesn't work anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLV72

UConn Still Shopping ? 4 months 4 weeks ago #247980

• MCNPA
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1090
jerseyshorejohnny wrote:
Can't stomach UCONN.

Agree here. I've been on the fence about this. I hate Uconn as well, but admit they had a great basketball history. They're just too football-centric to me. I want teams that compete with us in all sports, with a focus on basketball. Right now we have more teams left in the tourney than the ACC does, and that's with a few bad breaks to our conference teams. Our league is basketball-focused so schools like Wichita, Dayton make sense and can get on board in all sports. I'd love Uconn's high profile, but the fact is they will always be whoring for something better. It won't stop. It's not in their nature.

UConn Still Shopping ? 4 months 4 weeks ago #247983

• Coaster
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 90
Dayton would be a good fit, but sat with some very pleasant X fans at MSG game. They said X would never OK the entry of Dayton to the BE.
MCNPA wrote:
jerseyshorejohnny wrote:
Can't stomach UCONN.

Agree here. I've been on the fence about this. I hate Uconn as well, but admit they had a great basketball history. They're just too football-centric to me. I want teams that compete with us in all sports, with a focus on basketball. Right now we have more teams left in the tourney than the ACC does, and that's with a few bad breaks to our conference teams. Our league is basketball-focused so schools like Wichita, Dayton make sense and can get on board in all sports. I'd love Uconn's high profile, but the fact is they will always be whoring for something better. It won't stop. It's not in their nature.

UConn Still Shopping ? 4 months 4 weeks ago #247984

• Coaster
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 90
This from the blowhard who couldn't remember that Maryland was now part of Big 10.
salty dog wrote:
Mike Francessa just stated on the FAN that the best Big East expansion would be Wichita State and UCONN. Both good basketball schools that would bring good fans and prominence to the Big East
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds