Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The new and improved Coach Mullin

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237929

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4988
I know I have been simultaneously one of Coach Mullin's biggest supporters and biggest critics - which appears to be a dichotomy, but not really.

I want him to be an awesome coach, mostly because he represented SJU as an amazing athlete and continuing to be a regular guy who is approachable. He started out here with zero experience and almost a zero roster - not a good formula for success.

I have been very vocally critical about how he delegated responsibility and was almost a silent observer on the bench as others provided in game coaching. Before this mini run and after a devastating loss to Penn State I posted that Mullin had finally assumed HC bench coaching, being engaged end to end. He still was largely vacant from the timeout huddles, and that bothered me.

Last night that ended.

I documented every timeout huddle, as I was surprised that the very first huddle it was Mullin and Mullin alone speaking to players. I did the same for the second, third, and finally the entire game. Everyone was the same:

1st half:
9:00 minutes: Mullin leads timeout
7:10 Mullin
5:16 Mullin
3:24 Mullin
1:20 Mullin

2nd half:
19:00 Mullin
15:49 Mullin
13:18 Mullin
11:01 Mullin
and so on

St. Jean stayed on the outer rim of the huddle and it was Chris directing his players. Win or lose, this is how it's got to be. Basketball coaching isn't rocket science, but it can be overwhelming even if you played HOF caliber ball yourself but never had to run the whole show. Mullin, to me, has finally stepped into those shoes.

From here on out, I'm now totally confident that Chris will continue to grow as a competent, confident coach, get better players, and win here. Last night we hung in against a top ten team with a lottery pick freshman center, even on a night where Lovett and Ponds weren't at their best.

Better days ahead. As far as I'm concerned, Chris had finally assumed complete control and by doing so dramatically increased his chances of success here. Once again, I am totally on board with him regardless of our record from this point forward.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237933

• Bucknasty 23
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 181
I agree and I would like to take credit for this. :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, L J S A

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237941

• Muse
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
Much needed and on target post. Also he now dresses so as to look like one who deserves respect. Big hole is that he does not understand that if he rides refs they will ride him back. Also other coaches have an asst watch warmups which can reveal if a player is unfocused-we should also
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, Andrew2

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237944

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4988
Muse wrote:
Much needed and on target post. Also he now dresses so as to look like one who deserves respect. Big hole is that he does not understand that if he rides refs they will ride him back. Also other coaches have an asst watch warmups which can reveal if a player is unfocused-we should also

He did go berserk when Ellison was called for a foul near midcourt in the second half in a dive and scramble for the ball and kept it up for a long time. Other than that he was more controlled than usual and attended to coaching, so an occasional outburst is ok. Refs will give him a little more leeway because of who he is, and there's nothing wrong with letting refs know they blew a call, as long as you don't ride them all game, which is what he did last season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237954

• Muse
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 29
With respect, the ref knew he blew the call as soon as he made it. If not, the crowd told him. Had CM controlled himself he may well have gotten--who knows.from that ref
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237955

• Delaware
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 75
Agree with everything said. I would have been OK with him getting T'd up with the Ellison foul. Should have been a non-call. Plus there were a number of other poor calls against the Redmen earlier.

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237973

• L J S A
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1783
Hopefully he has turned a corner -- he saw the floor way too well as a player for me to think he'd be a horrible coach. But as others have said, optics matter, so I'm glad to see him more involved. It was a bad look last year for St. Jean to do everything, and it contributed to us being on the hook for Slice's salary.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, mjmaherjr, we are sju

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #237997

• Section9
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 369
Muse wrote:

Has he sat on a table this season? :P :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

The new and improved Coach Mullin 1 month 3 weeks ago #238003

• RedStormNC
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 459
Clipboard is strategically located there now...either by design or luck. Also, AD Goff was at scorers table a few times next to bench so I don't think sitting there would look too good.

Hopefully a thing of the past and somehow these fan observations do make their way to those involved or need to be aware.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr
Time to create page: 0.765 seconds