Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Please Stop Going for Block Shots

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #237918

• Pouchie29
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
This has bothered me for a while, maybe I'm in the minority, but I hate that we are wearing this "shot blocking badge" (2nd in the country right now) like its a medal of honor. These blocks in the most case are produced by exposing our defense to gaping holes on the interior and which apparently is why we are 117th and 195th in rebounds and points allowed.

I think these guys need to just stop attempting to block until they learn to rebound and lower 2nd chance points in the paint, what do you think?
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo, SJU11Redmen, Chris7

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #237926

• Steve Knortz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
I agree 100%. Attempting to block shots often leaves the defender facing away from the basket and therefore unable to rebound. Where as the shooter has a wide open lane to get to the rim for a put back. Blocking shots is defensive desperation. I suppose that's what makes them fun in a heroic way. I suppose a blocked shot can intimidate shooters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris7

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #237932

• Chris7
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 197
Steve Knortz wrote:
I agree 100%. Attempting to block shots often leaves the defender facing away from the basket and therefore unable to rebound. Where as the shooter has a wide open lane to get to the rim for a put back. Blocking shots is defensive desperation. I suppose that's what makes them fun in a heroic way. I suppose a blocked shot can intimidate shooters.

How about the fundamental principle of "don't leave your feet!" That of course requires hands on, disciplinarian coaching. Have no real problem with being aggressive on defense, but leaving your feet in an attempt to block someone's jump shot at the elbow is absurdity. One of our guys literally jumped over a shooter last night. It is costing us points.

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #237935

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5052
Chris7 wrote:
Steve Knortz wrote:

How about the fundamental principle of "don't leave your feet!" That of course requires hands on, disciplinarian coaching. Have no real problem with being aggressive on defense, but leaving your feet in an attempt to block someone's jump shot at the elbow is absurdity. One of our guys literally jumped over a shooter last night. It is costing us points.

Don't leave your feet? Where did you learn that, in an over 50 league of overweight accountants?

Just kidding, but I agree that trying to block every shot and playing real defense are 2 different things.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Beast of the East.

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #237943

• Pouchie29
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
That's interesting, if Owens were to plant his feet and stand tall, I going with he draws fouls left and right (Primarily due to him getting knocked down).

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #237952

• Delaware
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 82
This is what I posted in the Creighton game string mid-1st half last night: "We leave our feet defensively on 3 point attempts and at the rim trying to block shots instead of boxing out more than any team I watch."
Not the way to play solid defense. I agree that too much emphasis is put on the number of blocked shots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris7

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #237987

• simplyred
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1288
I don't have a problem so much with the blocked shot. My problem is that the rest of the guys stand there watching instead of getting into position to rebound. There should be more than one guy in the paint available to rebound.
The following user(s) said Thank You: P Simmons

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #238073

• Jack Williams
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2226
The other issue I have seen is Owens and our other big men just standing right under the rim hoping the rebound falls to them, when they could be boxing out a player who is usually like two steps to their right or left.

It is so frustrating to see a player get a put back layup when your own player is standing right there, he just didn't box out

There have been stretches (last 10 minutes of Butler game) where we have played really good defense. If we could improve upon some basic defensive fundamentals we'd be even better and more consistent
#SJU2020
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Jack Williams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell

Please Stop Going for Block Shots 3 months 2 weeks ago #238078

• SJU85
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 704
Having shot blockers is a great defensive weapon to have. It allows you to be more aggressive on defense and can cover up defensive mistakes. Our problem is that it is not just a part of our defense but it is our best defensive weapon. We don't do a good job on defense period and it shows. I agree that there are times when they shouldn't go for blocks ("flying" out uncontrollably at a jump shooter or jumping up or jumping and reaching), but it is a good ability to have and it causes guys to alter shots a lot of times even if you don't get the block.

While going for the block can leave you out of position (being a good shot blocker and rebounder does not have to be mutually exclusive), it is up to others to help,recover and position themselves for a rebound. There are some who have a knack and desire to be good rebounders and do the hardwork (positioning, boxing out, playing angles and a "go get it attitude"). At the present time we don't have one of those guys, So we need to make up for it by doing it as a team with better positioning and desire.
Last Edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by SJU85.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.559 seconds