Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Season Goals

Season Goals 7 months 2 weeks ago #237901

• lawmanfan
  • Thank you received: 988
Right now we are 8-8, 2-1. At this point I've seen enough to say that this how I'd like to see the season play out (reasonably):

1. We lose the road games to Creighton, Butler, Nova, Xavier. That's 4 losses.
2. Play .500 in the 8 games left with Providence, Marquette, Georgetown, Seton Hall = 4 wins and also 4 losses.
3. Win the DePaul rematch = 1 win.
4. Steal a win someplace else (an extra win in the bottom-half-of-the-league bracket, beat Xavier at the Garden, upset Nova at the Garden, something like that) = 1 win and also 1 loss.

If my math is right, that would get us to 14-17, 8-10 in the league. If the team gets hot and shots fall, it could win a game or maybe even 2 in the Big East Tournament.

I would count that as a successful season. It really points up how unfortunate the LIU and Delaware State losses were, though. If you flip those to wins then the record would be 16-15 and the team would probably get an NIT bid. Throw in Penn State and 17-14 would have been a really nice season for Year 2.

If everyone comes back and you add the incoming players to the mix, it looks like St. Johns has both feet on the road to success. Just have to keep it going.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, weathermannyc, Tha Kid, Andrew2, oldschool Redmen

Season Goals 7 months 2 weeks ago #237906

• SJU11Redmen
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 502
I'm trying not to get wrapped up in wins and losses. Just want to see progress and have our key pieces stay in school next year. Would be nice to steal 2-4 more wins but the reality is that we are going to be outmanned every night except one the rest of the way.

Season Goals 7 months 2 weeks ago #237911

• lawmanfan
SJU11Redmen wrote:
I'm trying not to get wrapped up in wins and losses. Just want to see progress and have our key pieces stay in school next year. Would be nice to steal 2-4 more wins but the reality is that we are going to be outmanned every night except one the rest of the way.

I agree that there is more to development than wins and losses. OTOH, at some point the training wheels have to come off and you should expect to see results. The reason I put this thread up is that I've seen enough now to believe we have just about arrived at that point.

I disagree that we will be outmanned against everyone other than DePaul. I think that on any given night St. John's can win any game, except the game at Creighton. Our guards are as good as any team in the country, the frontcourt is competitive except on the rare occasion it has to deal with a skilled 7-foooter, and the coaching staff has it all figured out (or has gotten the players on the same page, same result either way).

Don't sell this team short - let's see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Amaseinyourface, Andrew2, oldschool Redmen

Season Goals 7 months 2 weeks ago #237914

• Tha Kid
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
lawmanfan wrote:
Right now we are 8-8, 2-1. At this point I've seen enough to say that this how I'd like to see the season play out (reasonably):

1. We lose the road games to Creighton, Butler, Nova, Xavier. That's 4 losses.
2. Play .500 in the 8 games left with Providence, Marquette, Georgetown, Seton Hall = 4 wins and also 4 losses.
3. Win the DePaul rematch = 1 win.
4. Steal a win someplace else (an extra win in the bottom-half-of-the-league bracket, beat Xavier at the Garden, upset Nova at the Garden, something like that) = 1 win and also 1 loss.

If my math is right, that would get us to 14-17, 8-10 in the league. If the team gets hot and shots fall, it could win a game or maybe even 2 in the Big East Tournament.

I would count that as a successful season. It really points up how unfortunate the LIU and Delaware State losses were, though. If you flip those to wins then the record would be 16-15 and the team would probably get an NIT bid. Throw in Penn State and 17-14 would have been a really nice season for Year 2.

If everyone comes back and you add the incoming players to the mix, it looks like St. Johns has both feet on the road to success. Just have to keep it going.

Excellent post and I think those are reasonable goals. Optically, those LIU and D.S. losses do appear like they will be brutal if we can perform as you have laid out through year-end. I think a realistic but difficult goal and excellent finish (relatively) to the season would be to finish with a winning record. This would mean we finish 8-7 and go 1-1 in the BET. I would not bet on it, but I do think if we keep improving it is within reach.
"I drink and I know things"

Season Goals 7 months 2 weeks ago #237931

• richard steinfeld
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1047
Development of players. Improvement. More wins but the exact number isn't important. Incremental progress. No important defections and Matt nabbing a competent big man for next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Season Goals 7 months 2 weeks ago #237938

• Paultzman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15666
richard steinfeld wrote:
Development of players. Improvement. More wins but the exact number isn't important. Incremental progress. No important defections and Matt nabbing a competent big man for next year.

Continuity, beefing up interior & player development seems a prudent agenda.

Season Goals 7 months 2 days ago #239849

• lawmanfan
So it seems that despite all the drama, we are right on target.

If you said going in to the season that we sweep DePaul, beat Georgetown, and lose to four top 20 teams (two of them top 10) to get to 3-4 in the first 7 games, that would have been a reasonable forecast. Swap the Butler win for Georgetown and here we are. Though really the Georgetown loss is a pity, we could have been 4-3, besides which that was a hideous performance.

Anyway now it gets interesting. Split with Marquette, the Hall, and Providencc, and win the rematch with Georgetown, and that's 7-11 in conference. Maybe we find another win (Xavier? Sweep the Hall?) To get to 8.

Either way, a nice step forward from last year and a decent foundation for next year. Plus you can see the progress on the court and on the sideline.

Hope we can keep it going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, Paultzman, SJU1512

Season Goals 7 months 2 days ago #239854

• we are sju
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1712
lawmanfan wrote:

If you said going in to the season that we sweep DePaul, beat Georgetown, and lose to four top 20 teams (two of them top 10) to get to 3-4 in the first 7 games, that would have been a reasonable forecast. Swap the Butler win for Georgetown and here we are. Though really the Georgetown loss is a pity, we could have been 4-3, besides which that was a hideous performance.

Anyway now it gets interesting. Split with Marquette, the Hall, and Providencc, and win the rematch with Georgetown, and that's 7-11 in conference. Maybe we find another win (Xavier? Sweep the Hall?) To get to 8.

Either way, a nice step forward from last year and a decent foundation for next year. Plus you can see the progress on the court and on the sideline.

We win 2 more games and Lovett / Ponds don't go anywhere, I'd call the season a rousing success.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Season Goals 7 months 2 days ago #239861

• Paultzman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15666
we are sju wrote:
lawmanfan wrote:

We win 2 more games and Lovett / Ponds don't go anywhere, I'd call the season a rousing success.

And be relatively competitive, I'd take that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: we are sju, Andrew2
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds