Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Coaching Changes

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237555

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 14791
  • Thank you received: 14952
  • Karma: 279
Antigua out at South Florida
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237557

  • SJU61982
  • SJU61982's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2261
  • Thank you received: 785
  • Karma: -377
Paultzman wrote:
Antigua out at South Florida

Good thing that (a) we've won a few games lately, and (b) we don't have a known ongoing academic scandal going on, otherwise, given this extended Jeff Goodman tweet, we'd all have justification to ask the "Fire Mullin"? questions again.

Per Goodman:

Orlando Antigua was fired for a lack of wins, but the ongoing NCAA investigation into academic fraud -- which ultimately led to his brother Oliver's departure back in July -- obviously played into the decision to be let go. One source close to Antigua said that his staff -- with his brother and Rod Strickland -- was a big issue. "Way too inexperienced," the source said. "And they had all these guys from New York on staff -- and didn't sign kids from New York."
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237572

  • westchesterjoe
  • westchesterjoe's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1053
  • Thank you received: 276
  • Karma: -37
SJU61982 wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
Antigua out at South Florida

Good thing that (a) we've won a few games lately, and (b) we don't have a known ongoing academic scandal going on, otherwise, given this extended Jeff Goodman tweet, we'd all have justification to ask the "Fire Mullin"? questions again.

Per Goodman:

Orlando Antigua was fired for a lack of wins, but the ongoing NCAA investigation into academic fraud -- which ultimately led to his brother Oliver's departure back in July -- obviously played into the decision to be let go. One source close to Antigua said that his staff -- with his brother and Rod Strickland -- was a big issue. "Way too inexperienced," the source said. "And they had all these guys from New York on staff -- and didn't sign kids from New York."


There is No Chance, Chris Mullin would ever be fired in such a immediate way, short of him running a foul in a big, big situation!

A lot of these schools, who take Calipari Assistants, think they are going to turn into Kentucky overnight. Antigua was a big time Recruiter at Pitt and UK along with Slice. Strickland, is not inexperienced, he has been around a while as a Assistant. Never good to have your Brother as a Assistant either. Look what happened with Rex and Rob Ryan in Buffalo.

Academic scandals? I always think the School itself bears a great deal of the responsibility as well as, the Coach. They School Administration controls admissions and has to be the Final decider on a Student Athletes transcript. Also, many Colleges try to turn into Duke or, Villanova overnight and that doesn't happen.

The harsh reality is that a lot of these kids, have no business being in College, without a lot of Remedial work, at the JC level or, additional Prep Work.. But, the pressure to win and quickly is intense.. Look how some of the faithful or, faithless, were calling for Mullin's Head, before the Syracuse game. Just Ridiculous.

Lavin left nothing in the Pipeline. Obepka and Rysheed Jordan ? Better off, without them!
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by westchesterjoe. Reason: spelling
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237584

  • richard steinfeld
  • richard steinfeld's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2595
  • Thank you received: 998
  • Karma: 7
Sheed wasn't going to classes. So he wasn't going to be able to play for Mullin regardless. I would love to know what demands Mullin made of CO that he couldn't comply. That knucklehead lost the year for nothing.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by richard steinfeld.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237591

  • redken
  • redken's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 3082
  • Thank you received: 1705
  • Karma: -22
SJU61982 wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
Antigua out at South Florida

Good thing that (a) we've won a few games lately, and (b) we don't have a known ongoing academic scandal going on, otherwise, given this extended Jeff Goodman tweet, we'd all have justification to ask the "Fire Mullin"? questions again.

Per Goodman:

Orlando Antigua was fired for a lack of wins, but the ongoing NCAA investigation into academic fraud -- which ultimately led to his brother Oliver's departure back in July -- obviously played into the decision to be let go. One source close to Antigua said that his staff -- with his brother and Rod Strickland -- was a big issue. "Way too inexperienced," the source said. "And they had all these guys from New York on staff -- and didn't sign kids from New York."

Their roster includes three NYC kids: Isaiah Manderson (6'10" jr.) and Luis Santos (6'9" soph), both from the Bronx, and Troy Holston (6'4" soph) from Queens.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237594

  • SI1996
  • SI1996's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1499
  • Thank you received: 524
  • Karma: 17
redken wrote:
SJU61982 wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
Antigua out at South Florida

Good thing that (a) we've won a few games lately, and (b) we don't have a known ongoing academic scandal going on, otherwise, given this extended Jeff Goodman tweet, we'd all have justification to ask the "Fire Mullin"? questions again.

Per Goodman:

Orlando Antigua was fired for a lack of wins, but the ongoing NCAA investigation into academic fraud -- which ultimately led to his brother Oliver's departure back in July -- obviously played into the decision to be let go. One source close to Antigua said that his staff -- with his brother and Rod Strickland -- was a big issue. "Way too inexperienced," the source said. "And they had all these guys from New York on staff -- and didn't sign kids from New York."

Their roster includes three NYC kids: Isaiah Manderson (6'10" jr.) and Luis Santos (6'9" soph), both from the Bronx, and Troy Holston (6'4" soph) from Queens.
Weren't we on Santos at one point? What's the rules when transferring when a Coach is fired? Can they play right away?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237595

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 14791
  • Thank you received: 14952
  • Karma: 279
SI1996 wrote:
redken wrote:
SJU61982 wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
Antigua out at South Florida

Good thing that (a) we've won a few games lately, and (b) we don't have a known ongoing academic scandal going on, otherwise, given this extended Jeff Goodman tweet, we'd all have justification to ask the "Fire Mullin"? questions again.

Per Goodman:

Orlando Antigua was fired for a lack of wins, but the ongoing NCAA investigation into academic fraud -- which ultimately led to his brother Oliver's departure back in July -- obviously played into the decision to be let go. One source close to Antigua said that his staff -- with his brother and Rod Strickland -- was a big issue. "Way too inexperienced," the source said. "And they had all these guys from New York on staff -- and didn't sign kids from New York."

Their roster includes three NYC kids: Isaiah Manderson (6'10" jr.) and Luis Santos (6'9" soph), both from the Bronx, and Troy Holston (6'4" soph) from Queens.
Weren't we on Santos at one point? What's the rules when transferring when a Coach is fired? Can they play right away?

Yes on Santos from St. Rays.

I believe normal transfer rules stand.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Paultzman.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237596

  • P Simmons
  • P Simmons's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1348
  • Thank you received: 487
  • Karma: -44
Paultzman wrote:
SI1996 wrote:
redken wrote:
SJU61982 wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
Antigua out at South Florida

Good thing that (a) we've won a few games lately, and (b) we don't have a known ongoing academic scandal going on, otherwise, given this extended Jeff Goodman tweet, we'd all have justification to ask the "Fire Mullin"? questions again.

Per Goodman:

Orlando Antigua was fired for a lack of wins, but the ongoing NCAA investigation into academic fraud -- which ultimately led to his brother Oliver's departure back in July -- obviously played into the decision to be let go. One source close to Antigua said that his staff -- with his brother and Rod Strickland -- was a big issue. "Way too inexperienced," the source said. "And they had all these guys from New York on staff -- and didn't sign kids from New York."

Their roster includes three NYC kids: Isaiah Manderson (6'10" jr.) and Luis Santos (6'9" soph), both from the Bronx, and Troy Holston (6'4" soph) from Queens.
Weren't we on Santos at one point? What's the rules when transferring when a Coach is fired? Can they play right away?

Yes on Santos from St. Rays

He can transfer without sitting a year? I thought firing of coach was not something that NCAA looked upon as a reason to waive the transfer rule?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Coaching Changes 4 months 3 weeks ago #237598

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 14791
  • Thank you received: 14952
  • Karma: 279
P Simmons wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
SI1996 wrote:
redken wrote:
SJU61982 wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
Antigua out at South Florida

Good thing that (a) we've won a few games lately, and (b) we don't have a known ongoing academic scandal going on, otherwise, given this extended Jeff Goodman tweet, we'd all have justification to ask the "Fire Mullin"? questions again.

Per Goodman:

Orlando Antigua was fired for a lack of wins, but the ongoing NCAA investigation into academic fraud -- which ultimately led to his brother Oliver's departure back in July -- obviously played into the decision to be let go. One source close to Antigua said that his staff -- with his brother and Rod Strickland -- was a big issue. "Way too inexperienced," the source said. "And they had all these guys from New York on staff -- and didn't sign kids from New York."

Their roster includes three NYC kids: Isaiah Manderson (6'10" jr.) and Luis Santos (6'9" soph), both from the Bronx, and Troy Holston (6'4" soph) from Queens.
Weren't we on Santos at one point? What's the rules when transferring when a Coach is fired? Can they play right away?

Yes on Santos from St. Rays

He can transfer without sitting a year? I thought firing of coach was not something that NCAA looked upon as a reason to waive the transfer rule?

He would sit out a year, thus normal protocol applies.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: P Simmons
Time to create page: 0.429 seconds