Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Williams

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237336

• richard steinfeld
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 998
I think everyone agrees w Sima leaving we needed another big. Who would have thought we had one on our bench. A month ago Williams barely got into games during garbage time. What I really like about him is he doesn't try to do to much. Doesn't take 3 pt shots, but can make the 2 pointer, rebound and defend.A real pleasant suprise and I think he has had an impact on our recent resurgence. The announcer said yesterday he was our best offensive post player.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, romiSJU, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Andrew2

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237340

• Paultzman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14952
richard steinfeld wrote:
I think everyone agrees w Sima leaving we needed another big. Who would have thought we had one on our bench. A month ago Williams barely got into games during garbage time. What I really like about him is he doesn't try to do to much. Doesn't take 3 pt shots, but can make the 2 pointer, rebound and defend.A real pleasant suprise and I think he has had an impact on our recent resurgence. The announcer said yesterday he was our best offensive post player.

Hopefully he can sustain his fine recent performances & stay healthy. Not saying he is Wes Unseld, but it is such a relief to have a guy who doesn't fumble ball on penetrating passes down low. That quality will only make our talented backcourt guys more effective.
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by Paultzman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, richard steinfeld, Andrew2

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237344

• romiSJU
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 76
Love the way Dwill just 'plays' basketball. Love the energy. Hopefully he keeps it going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237347

• MCNPA
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1015
Well I think we had a preconceived notion that Williams was a garbage-time player because he wasn't playing. He's been off injured and maybe hobbled by that more than we realized. Doesn't mean he isn't healed up and ready to go now. Now that he's playing in real games, he seems to be getting up to speed.

From when he first committed....
"Originally from California, Williams played his first JUCO season at Iowa Western Community College, averaging 16 points per game and seven rebounds, shooting 41% from outside the arc. He took 29% of his shots from beyond the arc, so he's not strictly a deep shooter; and he shot 55% inside the arc and drew foul shots at a rate of 44% "

Funny that he said our main post guy now, but was known as a 3-point shooter In JUCO. that's dangerous when other post players have to guard him, but most important are those foul stats. He's gonna get to the line a lot, and is a good free throw shooter. If he keeps playing like he is, he makes us much more dangerous.

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237350

• IDRAFT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 50
The tiny amount I saw him last year he mostly roamed outside and tossed up threes. Admitably a very small sample size before he went down for the season. Given that this years sample is also tiny right now he seems much more suited to his current role.

He has been a revelation.

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237354

• RedStormNC
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 505
Perhaps the staff has told him that they don't need him to be a 3 pt threat and to play inside more than not and are practicing that specifically.

More like "do the opposite of whatever Alibegovic does"...
Last Edit: 4 months 3 weeks ago by RedStormNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, richard steinfeld

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237356

• Ray Morgan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 744
He plays, as does Owens, like a player should that missed over a year of competitive basketball. Like a man with something to prove. He does his best to compensate for lack of size and strength with a positive attitude and willingness to compete. there are games where he will be overmatched, but he will still be in there trying.

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237357

• usguard
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 532
Ray Morgan wrote:
He plays, as does Owens, like a player should that missed over a year of competitive basketball. Like a man with something to prove. He does his best to compensate for lack of size and strength with a positive attitude and willingness to compete. there are games where he will be overmatched, but he will still be in there trying.

Don't think you can say lack of size perhaps strength Williams is 6-8 and owens 6-11

Williams 4 months 3 weeks ago #237361

• Ray Morgan
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 744
usguard wrote:
Ray Morgan wrote:

Don't think you can say lack of size perhaps strength Williams is 6-8 and owens 6-11

Williams is going to have to guard the opposing center a bunch this year. He is undersized for that position.
Time to create page: 0.478 seconds