Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hire Mike Rice

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234586

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2746
  • Thank you received: 1712
  • Karma: -123
panther2 wrote:
we are sju wrote:
JohnnyFan wrote:
richard steinfeld wrote:
TRabinowitz wrote:
simplyred wrote:
Chris7 wrote:
Hire Mike Rice. He is something this staff needs. Not only intensity, but also college coaching experience.. He worked wonders at Robert Morris with little talent. Something tells me that Mullin respects Rice's intensity.

Hire him understanding it will be his platform to gain a head coach job somewhere within 2 or so years, so be it. Hire him.

We already complain that the head coach takes a back seat to one of his assistants. Hard to imagine Rice sitting on the bench and letting Mullin run the show.

There is a big difference between allowing your huddle to be ran by someone with experience as a head coach of multiple programs vs. a 26 year old who had never been a coach or ran a practice in his life prior to starting last at St John's last year.

Mike Rice would actually be a terrific assistant here. He has made amends and rehabilitated himself after his offenses at Rutgers and has worked on the lower rungs of the coaching latter as an AAU and HS coach since. In addition to the experience and toughness he would bring to the table, he also currently coaches 3 or 4 kids we're recruiting so he would be an asset to assist in bringing them on board as well. Would be a big fan of bringing Mike Rice onto the staff. I also think he would work really hard because he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.
Well said. The question I have to ask is why is the coaching staff inexperienced down the whole line? We cant afford to have St Jean learn on the job when our other coaches don't have coaching exp. IMO. Ive also mentioned Rice. A lot of exp. and would not be asking a lot of money. He went to the Lucas academy ,has been working on his problems and deserves a chance.

I agree that not having one experienced coach on staff is an obvious and glaring error in judgement. However, I am not as keen on Mike Rice. I think he is a talented coach, but I can't get the video of him out of my head. It takes a significant personality disorder to behave like that. There are many experienced coaches out there.

And I am sure other teams would have that video queued up on their phone for any potential recruit that had SJU on their list.



At the present time, Mike Rice is the coach of The Patrick School where Nick Richards Plays. He also coaches Team Rio with Scottie Lewis and Bryan Antoine. If the video was still relevant, these kids would not be playing for him. He has gone through therapy and treatment for his issues and would be a solid addition to this staff. The fact that he is showing that he can coach and relate to current high school players is a plus. Others such as PJ are too far removed from college ball. Rice would also have the endorsement of Rob Kennedy the founder of Hoop Group who gave him his first opportunity after he was dismissed from Rutgers. His coaching knowledge is well respected by those who know him. He will be a college assistant next year and if happens at St. Johns. I would be very happy.

People focused way too much on assistant coaches! Need better players first and then you can start to worry about other stuff.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: McGarry2

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234589

  • MainMan
  • MainMan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1958
  • Thank you received: 935
  • Karma: -102
When are we going to get with it and finally hire Pete Gillen?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234590

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 15213
  • Thank you received: 15664
  • Karma: 279
MainMan wrote:
When are we going to get with it and finally hire Pete Gillen?

Rollie Massimino way ahead of Gillen. Clair Bee is just too hard to reach.
Last Edit: 8 months 2 days ago by Paultzman.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234591

  • panther2
  • panther2's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 509
  • Thank you received: 1128
  • Karma: 31
we are sju wrote:
panther2 wrote:
we are sju wrote:
JohnnyFan wrote:
richard steinfeld wrote:
TRabinowitz wrote:
simplyred wrote:
Chris7 wrote:
Hire Mike Rice. He is something this staff needs. Not only intensity, but also college coaching experience.. He worked wonders at Robert Morris with little talent. Something tells me that Mullin respects Rice's intensity.

Hire him understanding it will be his platform to gain a head coach job somewhere within 2 or so years, so be it. Hire him.

We already complain that the head coach takes a back seat to one of his assistants. Hard to imagine Rice sitting on the bench and letting Mullin run the show.

There is a big difference between allowing your huddle to be ran by someone with experience as a head coach of multiple programs vs. a 26 year old who had never been a coach or ran a practice in his life prior to starting last at St John's last year.

Mike Rice would actually be a terrific assistant here. He has made amends and rehabilitated himself after his offenses at Rutgers and has worked on the lower rungs of the coaching latter as an AAU and HS coach since. In addition to the experience and toughness he would bring to the table, he also currently coaches 3 or 4 kids we're recruiting so he would be an asset to assist in bringing them on board as well. Would be a big fan of bringing Mike Rice onto the staff. I also think he would work really hard because he has a chip on his shoulder and something to prove.
Well said. The question I have to ask is why is the coaching staff inexperienced down the whole line? We cant afford to have St Jean learn on the job when our other coaches don't have coaching exp. IMO. Ive also mentioned Rice. A lot of exp. and would not be asking a lot of money. He went to the Lucas academy ,has been working on his problems and deserves a chance.

I agree that not having one experienced coach on staff is an obvious and glaring error in judgement. However, I am not as keen on Mike Rice. I think he is a talented coach, but I can't get the video of him out of my head. It takes a significant personality disorder to behave like that. There are many experienced coaches out there.

And I am sure other teams would have that video queued up on their phone for any potential recruit that had SJU on their list.



At the present time, Mike Rice is the coach of The Patrick School where Nick Richards Plays. He also coaches Team Rio with Scottie Lewis and Bryan Antoine. If the video was still relevant, these kids would not be playing for him. He has gone through therapy and treatment for his issues and would be a solid addition to this staff. The fact that he is showing that he can coach and relate to current high school players is a plus. Others such as PJ are too far removed from college ball. Rice would also have the endorsement of Rob Kennedy the founder of Hoop Group who gave him his first opportunity after he was dismissed from Rutgers. His coaching knowledge is well respected by those who know him. He will be a college assistant next year and if happens at St. Johns. I would be very happy.

People focused way too much on assistant coaches! Need better players first and then you can start to worry about other stuff.


You are missing the point, to get better players you need to have a proven staff in place that you can sell to recruits and their families. Players want to hear that there are coaches here who can help them get better. None of our staff has that kind of track record yet which is a problem. Chris and St Jean are both still learning on he job.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, OLV72, JohnnyFan

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234593

  • MainMan
  • MainMan's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1958
  • Thank you received: 935
  • Karma: -102
Paultzman wrote:
MainMan wrote:
When are we going to get with it and finally hire Pete Gillen?

Rollie Massimino way ahead of Gillen. Clair Bee is just to hard to reach.

Clair Bee is no Tim Welsh!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234594

  • fun
  • fun's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 1449
  • Thank you received: 1333
  • Karma: -4670
panther2 wrote:
You are missing the point, to get better players you need to have a proven staff in place that you can sell to recruits and their families. Players want to hear that there are coaches here who can help them get better. None of our staff has that kind of track record yet which is a problem. Chris and St Jean are both still learning on he job.

Hopefully some of Mike Rice's cachet rubs off on Chris Mullin and Mitch Richmond, that would help with recruiting.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: we are sju, panther2

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234600

  • Spocky Ramone
  • Spocky Ramone's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 917
  • Thank you received: 247
  • Karma: 5
MainMan wrote:
Paultzman wrote:
MainMan wrote:
When are we going to get with it and finally hire Pete Gillen?

Rollie Massimino way ahead of Gillen. Clair Bee is just to hard to reach.

Clair Bee is no Tim Welsh!
None of them is Gene Keady
Upon my every statement you can have complete reliance.
I know more than you do, call me Dr. Science!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234602

  • Enright
  • Enright's Avatar
  • OFFLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 560
  • Thank you received: 251
  • Karma: 11
A great ass't. coach would no doubt be of great help but a much bigger problem is that watching the SJU-LIU game without LoVett playing there were three players on the court who could play on the top seven big east teams and two of them payed on LIU.
Hopefully by Feb one or more SJU players have moved into that category.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hire Mike Rice 8 months 2 days ago #234603

  • Knight
  • Knight's Avatar
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Posts: 2917
  • Thank you received: 1028
  • Karma: -26
I don't want to see any coaching changes this season.
Let CM review the performance of his coaches and identify a system that will work for our circumstance. Make needed changes accordingly.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds