Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Matt A

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243929

• mjmaherjr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5828
Paultzman wrote:
Just thinking out loud, Matt A is close with Will Wade and other coaches who could be up for high major jobs this coming spring. I assume Chris and SJU Administration will make sure to keep him here. He is the only AC with recruiting relationships and transfer prowess. Hopefully someone else on staff will be out there soon to give him a hand. One guy can't do it all IMO.

We would be in some serious trouble if he moved on, considering he has already recruited the entire team and has the short term future of the program directly tied to him. Maybe I worry too much. :)
if he leaves they can always bring back Slice since they are paying him anyway. lol
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy, Paultzman, Andrew2

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243934

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3740
Paultzman wrote:
Just thinking out loud, Matt A is close with Will Wade and other coaches who could be up for high major jobs this coming spring. I assume Chris and SJU Administration will make sure to keep him here. He is the only AC with recruiting relationships and transfer prowess. Hopefully someone else on staff will be out there soon to give him a hand. One guy can't do it all IMO.

We would be in some serious trouble if he moved on, considering he has already recruited the entire team and has the short term future of the program directly tied to him. Maybe I worry too much. :)

Agree with you. The first thing I would do if I were the administration is agree to pay for an asst to Matt. He's essentially been doing the work of 2 men since Slice left, and probably even while Slice was here. I don't think they'd need to pay someone much more than 100K. And less face facts, with the coaching staff's current payroll, what's another 100K? Although they will likely have to sweeten the pot for Matt at the end of the year as well. Hell I'd be his asst for a lot less than 100K ;) Chris has been a manager of people for a long time. If there is an issue, he best figure out how to resolve it before it gets out of hand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243936

• Andrew2
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1567
I dont believe that I have criticized Coach Mullin since he has been hired but I really hope that he is as heavily invested in recruiting as he said he would be. As good as Matt A is top players are not coming here unless Mullin convinces them. I don't know what went on with Slice and I said it the other day that another assistant coach should be on the road. Matt A seemed very happy to come back here so I hope all is well there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy, Paultzman, JohnnyFan

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243950

• L J S A
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2231
Paultzman wrote:

He's in a good position because no one will hold the team record against him. He can ride this out to the end, and if the end is bad he'll still find a job pretty quickly.

Hopefully he rides this out because we are in deep $h¡† without him.

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243956

• ErickTheRed
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 112
Matty knows his position, loves NYC and will stick it out till the end regardless if it's good or bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243958

• gman
  • Thank you received: 1148
Is Matt a candidate to take over when Mullin feels like he has done his job here? I know he is a great recruiter but I don't think he has game coaching experience. Giving him the reins with a experienced bench coach would add stability in the long term and help retain him.

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243961

• panther2
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1109
Every significant player on our team right now was recruited by Matt A. To put it bluntly, without Matt, there would be no team and the improvement we have seen from last year to this year would not have happened.
For recruiting purposes, this spring and summer are very important. There are three circuits, Nike, Adidas, and UA. Matt cannot be in three places at one time. Some schools have one assistant at each event and the head coach makes an appearance at all of them. Since we can only have 3 Asst. coaches, Richmond and St Jean need to step up and get out there on the circuit. If not, Chris is going to have to make a change. The 2018 and 2019 classes have a lot of talent in the Tri State area, we need to get our share to continue to improve.
If our recruiting effort does not improve, we are definitely in trouble. Recruiting is not a one man job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy, Monte, Paultzman, OLV72, Andrew2, L J S A

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243963

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5171
panther2 wrote:
Every significant player on our team right now was recruited by Matt A. To put it bluntly, without Matt, there would be no team and the improvement we have seen from last year to this year would not have happened.
For recruiting purposes, this spring and summer are very important. There are three circuits, Nike, Adidas, and UA. Matt cannot be in three places at one time. Some schools have one assistant at each event and the head coach makes an appearance at all of them. Since we can only have 3 Asst. coaches, Richmond and St Jean need to step up and get out there on the circuit. If not, Chris is going to have to make a change. The 2018 and 2019 classes have a lot of talent in the Tri State area, we need to get our share to continue to improve.
If our recruiting effort does not improve, we are definitely in trouble. Recruiting is not a one man job.

Let Goff know our staff is too light right now and we need another recruiter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, panther2, JohnnyFan

Matt A Torch Article 5 months 1 week ago #243970

• SJU85
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 747
Beast of the East wrote:
panther2 wrote:

Let Goff know our staff is too light right now and we need another recruiter.

If the suggestion is to bring in another person to help Matt recruiting, then unless you are planning for this person to handle administration work, he would have to be given an Assistant Coaching position to actually recruit. We already have the max in Assistants (3). Therefore someone would have to leave or take a lesser position.
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds