• NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5319
P Simmons wrote:
Happy wrote:
SJU85 wrote:
Beast of the East wrote:
panther2 wrote:
Every significant player on our team right now was recruited by Matt A. To put it bluntly, without Matt, there would be no team and the improvement we have seen from last year to this year would not have happened.
For recruiting purposes, this spring and summer are very important. There are three circuits, Nike, Adidas, and UA. Matt cannot be in three places at one time. Some schools have one assistant at each event and the head coach makes an appearance at all of them. Since we can only have 3 Asst. coaches, Richmond and St Jean need to step up and get out there on the circuit. If not, Chris is going to have to make a change. The 2018 and 2019 classes have a lot of talent in the Tri State area, we need to get our share to continue to improve.
If our recruiting effort does not improve, we are definitely in trouble. Recruiting is not a one man job.

Let Goff know our staff is too light right now and we need another recruiter.

If the suggestion is to bring in another person to help Matt recruiting, then unless you are planning for this person to handle administration work, he would have to be given an Assistant Coaching position to actually recruit. We already have the max in Assistants (3). Therefore someone would have to leave or take a lesser position.

Panther was right on in saying this is not a one man job and this one recruiter stuff is just nonsense . We have 2 hall of fame basketball players on the staff and the fact that neither has been present in recruiting lately is just mind blowing. You would think both in addition to Matt walking into a high school game would really be impressive but alas the proverbial gym rat is now not willing to go in to the gym? Matt just simply can't be everywhere and with all due respect to him having these two HOF players on staff and not utilizing either for recruiting[/u] is like having a Mercedes with manual Windows. The solution is simple.. Send Rico pt 2 packing and hire ....
image-2.jpeg

Where is the proof that Mullin, Richmond and St Jean are "not involved in recruiting?" I call BS on that, Mullin is not stupid. Or lazy.
#fakenews
it's not about Mullin being stupid but all you have to do is look at social media basically what people put up on this site. When Lavin wasn't at games people were posting it left and right. In the beginning when Mullin was at games people were posting it left and right. There is a reason why nothing has been posted lately.

As far as an avatar I'mm all onboard with ricearoni
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by mjmaherjr.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy

Matt A Torch Article 1 month 1 week ago #244051

• RedStormNC
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 468
Rice would be a huge get for the program if he can fit w/ Mullin.

Listen to Rice here in this new Evan Daniels podcast

www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruit...ke-rice-kermit-davis

And a new documentary on Patrick School where Rice is coaching

Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by RedStormNC.

Matt A Torch Article 1 month 1 week ago #244053

• bamafan
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1167
RedStormNC wrote:
and Calipari was at the local same tournament....

I get that Mullin & Ritchmond might not travel together to these, but is it unrealistic to expect that if one doesn't go, the other one should, alongside with Matt ?
Maybe Mo and Rich are on the same 5 star restaurant tour that Lavin was on.

Matt A Torch Article 1 month 1 week ago #244057

• P Simmons
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 487
Happy wrote:
P Simmons wrote:
Happy wrote:
SJU85 wrote:
Beast of the East wrote:
panther2 wrote:
Every significant player on our team right now was recruited by Matt A. To put it bluntly, without Matt, there would be no team and the improvement we have seen from last year to this year would not have happened.
For recruiting purposes, this spring and summer are very important. There are three circuits, Nike, Adidas, and UA. Matt cannot be in three places at one time. Some schools have one assistant at each event and the head coach makes an appearance at all of them. Since we can only have 3 Asst. coaches, Richmond and St Jean need to step up and get out there on the circuit. If not, Chris is going to have to make a change. The 2018 and 2019 classes have a lot of talent in the Tri State area, we need to get our share to continue to improve.
If our recruiting effort does not improve, we are definitely in trouble. Recruiting is not a one man job.

If the suggestion is to bring in another person to help Matt recruiting, then unless you are planning for this person to handle administration work, he would have to be given an Assistant Coaching position to actually recruit. We already have the max in Assistants (3). Therefore someone would have to leave or take a lesser position.

Panther was right on in saying this is not a one man job and this one recruiter stuff is just nonsense . We have 2 hall of fame basketball players on the staff and the fact that neither has been present in recruiting lately is just mind blowing. You would think both in addition to Matt walking into a high school game would really be impressive but alas the proverbial gym rat is now not willing to go in to the gym? Matt just simply can't be everywhere and with all due respect to him having these two HOF players on staff and not utilizing either for recruiting is like having a Mercedes with manual Windows. The solution is simple.. Send Rico pt 2 packing and hire ....
image-2.jpeg

Where is the proof that Mullin, Richmond and St Jean are "not involved in recruiting?" I call BS on that, Mullin is not stupid.
#fakenews

Nobody said Mullin was stupid but I do know that all 3 have not been present at games they easily could have gone to in the tri state area easily . Games incidentally that not just Kevin Willard attended but the entire Seton Hall staff was present at. It's the season and recruiting isn't necessarily a top priority for a head coach in season but it sure would make a nice impression for our coach to show up at CTK on a random Thursday etc.. Little things like this leave a lasting impression on kids and the coaches of these kids. Trust me guy I am not just throwing punches in the wind :)

These things always get portrayed as black and white (pardon the pun). They missed one tournament, does that mean they are completely dialed out?

But I have said several times on other threads that I'd love to see Mike Rice land here. But it would be St Jean that would have to go in that event, IMO. I think having a 27 year old lead x and o's guy is a big liability for the program. And Richmond is far more valuable than St Jean from a recruiting standpoint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Amaseinyourface

Matt A Torch Article 1 month 1 week ago #244060

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3596
Beast of the East wrote:
SJU85 wrote:
Beast of the East wrote:
panther2 wrote:

I had forgotten that Richmond has been elevated to assistant, from special assistant. On the bench, though, Richmond doesn't seem to interact much with players, same as when he was restricted by his former role.

In terms of Matt A., I will say that some "Fans" have shot him particularly nasty stuff on social media, which he doesn't respond to, that has bothered his family.

It's one thing to be a recruiter for an incredibly successful program, as Norm was for Bill Self at Kansas, and entirely another thing to be successful recruiting at St. John's. Matt is not going to come close to getting every player he goes after, but he appears to be one tenacious, tough mother, which belies his physical stature.

Beast I would hope that Matt, being social media savvy, would be able to ignore most if not all of the negative stuff. He's in the public eye, "fans"(I use that word loosely) are going to post negative and stupid crap. They do it with everyone who is in the public eye. If in fact Matt is not happy, I have a hard time believing social media is part of the reason. Frankly, if it is, that's something he needs to figure out how to deal with. Besides, any real fan of SJU basketball thanks it's lucky stars that we have Matt here. Chris needs to deal with this issue, and fast.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Monte.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Matt A 1 month 1 week ago #244063

• Steve Knortz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 43
You guys are nuts! You are getting worked up over Fake News...no real facts...One guy's speculation becomes a story, and everyone has to chime in with no facts, just more speculation. This must be what Trump is talking about. You guys are speculating on who Chris sends on the road to recruit? Really? You have no information on anyone's ability to handle that job.

Based on SJU's record, Chris has done a great job this year. Think about where SJU was when Lavin left. SJU was coming off a good year, but had no players on the roster and none committed for the next season.

The current staff brought in a bunch of talented guys and continues to do so. Five star recruits are not coming to SJU when there is an unproven coach and no roster. Why would they chance their career in the NBA? The staff has to build a program. Get a few wins, then a few more wins. Avoid Pittsburgh type disasters, build a postive team environment, graduate kids, get a few kids playing abroad and in the D league. Then maybe you get an uber talented kid to play and if all goes well, more 5 stars commit and success becomes ingrained. At this point, there is no reason to believe Chris will not continue to build the program. I am sure Chris will take care of his staff.

In Chris I trust!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section9, fuchsia, frank61

Matt A 1 month 1 week ago #244064

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3596
Steve Knortz wrote:
You guys are nuts! You are getting worked up over Fake News...no real facts...One guy's speculation becomes a story, and everyone has to chime in with no facts, just more speculation. This must be what Trump is talking about. You guys are speculating on who Chris sends on the road to recruit? Really? You have no information on anyone's ability to handle that job.

Based on SJU's record, Chris has done a great job this year. Think about where SJU was when Lavin left. SJU was coming off a good year, but had no players on the roster and none committed for the next season.

The current staff brought in a bunch of talented guys and continues to do so. Five star recruits are not coming to SJU when there is an unproven coach and no roster. Why would they chance their career in the NBA? The staff has to build a program. Get a few wins, then a few more wins. Avoid Pittsburgh type disasters, build a postive team environment, graduate kids, get a few kids playing abroad and in the D league. Then maybe you get an uber talented kid to play and if all goes well, more 5 stars commit and success becomes ingrained. At this point, there is no reason to believe Chris will not continue to build the program. I am sure Chris will take care of his staff.

In Chris I trust!!!

Steve you can certainly believe or not believe what you choose, but there are some extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy posters on this thread who are voicing concerns over things they've seen and/or heard. I wouldn't be so quick to label those sources of information as "nuts". Hopefully all gets resolved, Matt is happy here, and we continue to improve as a program.
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Monte.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy, Paultzman, mjmaherjr, panther2, richard steinfeld, L J S A, Steve Knortz

Matt A Torch Article 1 month 1 week ago #244067

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5043
Monte wrote:
Beast of the East wrote:
SJU85 wrote:
Beast of the East wrote:
panther2 wrote:

I had forgotten that Richmond has been elevated to assistant, from special assistant. On the bench, though, Richmond doesn't seem to interact much with players, same as when he was restricted by his former role.

In terms of Matt A., I will say that some "Fans" have shot him particularly nasty stuff on social media, which he doesn't respond to, that has bothered his family.

It's one thing to be a recruiter for an incredibly successful program, as Norm was for Bill Self at Kansas, and entirely another thing to be successful recruiting at St. John's. Matt is not going to come close to getting every player he goes after, but he appears to be one tenacious, tough mother, which belies his physical stature.

Beast I would hope that Matt, being social media savvy, would be able to ignore most if not all of the negative stuff. He's in the public eye, "fans"(I use that word loosely) are going to post negative and stupid crap. They do it with everyone who is in the public eye. If in fact Matt is not happy, I have a hard time believing social media is part of the reason. Frankly, if it is, that's something he needs to figure out how to deal with. Besides, any real fan of SJU basketball thanks it's lucky stars that we have Matt here. Chris needs to deal with this issue, and fast.

Read carefully. Matt is not upset at all. He's a new yorker and brushes it off. Did not suggest Matt is unhappy here.

All i would say is that we are in an unprecedented age of access to anyone via social media, and supportingbour own guys is always a good thing to offset the degenerates
Last Edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Beast of the East.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, frank61

Matt A 1 month 1 week ago #244069

• Paul Massell
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2308
Monte wrote:
Steve Knortz wrote:

In Chris I trust!!!

Steve you can certainly believe or not believe what you choose, but there are some extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy posters on this thread who are voicing concerns over things they've seen and/or heard. I wouldn't be so quick to label those sources of information as "nuts". Hopefully all gets resolved, Matt is happy here, and we continue to improve as a program.

I like to think of myself as trustworthy at least and I am not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, I would point out that just because they are extremely knowledgeable and trustworthy doesn't mean they aren't nuts.
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Happy, fuchsia
Time to create page: 0.759 seconds